Friday, June 11, 2010

Why We Love Our Baby Sling or Why We Never Bought a Stroller

by Justine Camacho-Tajonera

When we were still taking our childbirth class, my husband, Vier,  and I got introduced to something called a baby sling. I had my doubts but Vier instantly fell in love with it. We also got introduced to a concept called attachment parenting, a term coined by one of its main proponents, Dr. William Sears and his wife, Martha Sears.  We both thoroughly support the movement and we've become advocates of breastfeeding as well, the natural result of attachment parenting.

Why a Sling?

My dad was puzzled over our decision to buy a baby sling. While the version we got was a little pricier than others in the market (it was made from a breathable Guatemalan fabric and supported by two heavy duty stainless steel rings), he couldn't fathom how this sling could possibly take the place of a baby stroller.

At the time, I told my husband that we could always try out the sling first and if we felt that we needed to augment with a baby stroller, we could always add a baby stroller to our endless list of things to buy for our new baby.

Surprise, surprise. Even after six months, we still didn't see the need for a baby stroller. We were still happily using our baby sling. It turns out that we never needed the stroller after all. While I never got to use it fully because of my right-left confusion, Vier was a pro. We would take the sling wherever we went and Vier would proudly wear our son, Badger, in the sling.

Read the rest of the blog at SmartParenting.com.ph. 

Image of Guatemalan baby in sling from Flickr.com/wmacphail.

No comments: