Wednesday, June 09, 2010

Beginning All Over Again: A Second Pregnancy

The problem with getting pregnant only when you hit thirty is having a five-year window to get pregnant again without complications. That was why I really wanted to get pregnant last year. However, it wasn't time. This year, I'm finally pregnant again and I'm seeing a lot of differences between my first pregnancy and my second pregnancy.

Pregnancy Changes You Forever, Physically

One of the things that forever changed for me after my first pregnancy was my eyesight. I used to see just fine. However, after I gave birth I needed glasses. My nearsightedness kicked in. I realized that it's the kind of thing that's irreversible. I'll have to live with it and do some maintenance measures but the reality is: my body is very much different from the way it was when I was single.

Given that my eyesight changed drastically after giving birth, I think of what will change after I give birth the second time around. I'm expecting a heavier toll. However, knowing what I know, I think I can better prepare myself as well. I'm trying to eat healthier and taking supplements to make up for my nutrition deficiencies. I'm guarding against possible gestational diabetes as well because diabetes runs in my family.

There's an excellent book that talks about what happens after birth and the toll it takes on your body: Life After Birth by Kate Figes with Jean Zimmerman.  The book gives you a clear picture of what happens after birth not just a fuzzy, warm account of being a mom. It's realistic without being pessimistic.


Read the rest of my blog at SmartParenting.com.ph

Image from Flickr.com/mahalie.

No comments: